Here’s a few of your need to knows before you go…
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO GO
Colombia is truly a year round destination, especially along its Caribbean coastline where sunshine is guaranteed almost every day of the year. Officially, the country’s dry season runs between December to March, and this is probably the best time of year to go if you plan on doing a lot of trekking in the Andean regions. Still, with cities like Medellin famous for year round eternal springs, it’s quite easy to see that the weather in Colombia won’t disappoint, whenever you choose to travel.
Direct flights from London are available, with the flight time standing at approximately 11 hours.
Visa and Entry Requirements: British and US citizens can travel to Colombia for up to 90 days without requiring a visa.
Plane: Due to the country’s size, internal air travel is advised if you’re tight on time. It’s also essential when visiting places like Leticia which serves as Colombia’s gateway to the Amazon.
Boat: With so many waterways and stunning coastlines, travelling by boat can be the most efficient means of transport depending on where you’re trying to reach. It’s also a great way to see the country and you will get a better idea of what Colombia is all about.
Bus: For the more adventurous travellers, buses are a cheap and convenient way to travel around Colombia. Bus routes serve all but the tiniest towns, though it may take several transfers and twice as long as it would by plane or boat.
A FEW FUN FACTS
1) Colombia does not have real seasons. Due to its proximity to the equator, the country tends to enjoy year-round sunshine.
2) Colombia is home to over 80 indigenous tribes.
3) Around 12% of the world’s coffee is produced in Colombia.
4) Colombia is one of the most bio-diverse countries in the world.
5) Colombia is the only South American country to have both Pacific and Caribbean coastlines.
6) Colombia is home to almost 600 endangered species.
7) 95% of the world’s emeralds come from Colombia.
8) Around 3000 different species of butterfly can be found in Colombia.
9) Colombia is the oldest democracy in Latin America.
10) 80% of the flowers bought in the USA are from Colombia.