Think you know Australia, think again…
1. Australia is the sixth largest country in the world and about the same size as the 48 mainland states of the USA.
2. Thought to be one of the world’s oldest civilizations, Australia’s Aboriginal community are believed to have lived on the continent since the last Ice Age.
3. The name Australia comes from the Latin Australis which means “of the South” Legends of “Terra Australis Incognita” an “unknown land of the south” date back to Roman times.
4. Australia long list of red carpet stars features the likes of like Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, and Cate Blanchett and Hugh Jackman
5. Australia is not the driest inhabited continent on earth, the driest is Antarctica
6. Australia is the only continent without an active volcano.
7. The Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened in 1932 and is the widest steel arch bridge in the world.
8. United States architect Walter Burley Griffin won the competition in 1912 to design Australia’s capital city of Canberra.
9. Australians invented notepads , the surf lifesaving reel, and the wine cask. Quite the innovators you’ll agree.
10. Australia’s coastline stretches almost 50,000 kilometres and is linked by over 10,000 beaches, more than any other country in the world.